Technology for Everyday Problems

Technology for Everyday Problems

Who:       A.J. Bernheim Brush
Where:  Advanced Technology Lab (Building 007)
When:   3pm, Thursday, April 26th, 2012
What:    For families, seemingly simple questions like “Are we free for dinner next Saturday?” or “Can you pick the kids up when I have a late meeting” can be difficult to answer. Inspired by challenges I face in my own life, I study and build technology for homes and families. In this talk I will present two research prototypes that my colleagues at Microsoft Research and I have built to address challenges faced by individuals and families using technology in their homes: LINC a digital family calendar, and PreHeat which uses occupancy sensing to control home heating. More generally, I will describe my research process including how we start each project by understanding user needs and then build a prototype and study its use by families to gather feedback.

Bio: A.J. Bernheim Brush is a Senior Researcher at Microsoft Research in Redmond, Washington, USA and member of the Computational User Experiences (CUE) group. A.J. graduated Summa cum Laude from Williams College and earned her Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of Washington. A.J.’s research area is Human-Computer Interaction with a focus on Ubiquitous Computing and Computer Supported Collaboration (CSCW). A.J. is best known for her research on technologies for families and her expertise conducting field studies of technology. She currently focuses on Contextual Computing, using sensing, inference, and prediction to enable new experiences in the home and on mobile devices. A.J.
publishes frequently at the top conferences in her research areas and she holds 5 patents.
http://research.microsoft.com/~ajbrush
Flyerhttp://bit.ly/HLHDH3
Coordinated by: Computer Science Department
contact:  zwood@calpoly

Be Sociable, Share!
Posted in News
Sign up for our mailing list.

Event Snapshots
dsc_0532 dsc_0545 0004 dsc_0385
Campus and Beyond